Feature Line - Offset to Intersecting Slopes

Productivity Tools for Civil3D 2015 or higher
Lincoln

Feature Line - Offset to Intersecting Slopes

Postby Lincoln » Fri May 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Here is a new command idea that would be very useful for grading design:

Two feature lines running adjacent to each other, at some varying distance apart.

Examples:

Could be a Toe featureline at the bottom of a slope, and then a Top of Bank feature line.
Could be a feature line wrapped around a building pad, and another feature line out some distance representing the Back of Sidewalk.

New Command:

The command would create a new third feature line between the two feature lines at some User specified grade away from the First feature line, and at some User specified grade away from the Second feature line.

User would be prompted to pick First feature line and give the desired slope away (i.e. 3:1) from it.
User would be prompted to pick Second feature line and give the desired slope away (i.e. 10:1) from it.
New feature line would be created at (i.e.,3:1) from the first feature line, and (i.e. 10:1) from the second feature line.

We would want to see the temporary green glyphs and red vectors that the current Civil 3D feature line edit commands use. These temporary graphics would show us where the new feature line would be placed, so we could make slope adjustments on the fly within the command if needed before committing to producing the third feature line in the drawing.

twdotson
Site Admin

Re: Feature Line - Offset to Intersecting Slopes

Postby twdotson » Fri May 22, 2015 2:24 pm

If you can, email a small DWG example so we can see the desired results.

GIZMO-NJ

Postby GIZMO-NJ » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Essentially the intersection between two planes?

GIZMO-NJ

Postby GIZMO-NJ » Fri May 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Taking this a little further it would be useful to be able to do a simple grading to a surface and produce a featureline without all the baggage (and crash potential) associated with gradings.

Sometimes a dynamic grading isn't necessary (or desirable) and a quick and dirty Featureline is all that is required

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 pm

That's not taking this one further...! That's a specific separate command..

That is the old and very handy Daylight Polyline routine from LDD. Dotsoft could easily do that I'm sure..

Yes, this is essentially folding plane grading without having to create surfaces just to do it.

GIZMO-NJ

Postby GIZMO-NJ » Sat May 23, 2015 10:55 am

I'm not familiar with LDD but a simple couple of clicks to see location of the top/bottom of the slope and then generate a 3D poly or featureline would be very useful to me.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat May 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Yes, that needs its own thread topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55

Return to “C3D Tools Suite”