Setup/Transition from C3D to BricsCAD

Civil/Survey and GIS add-on for CAD engines.
KirkNoonan

Setup/Transition from C3D to BricsCAD

Postby KirkNoonan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 pm

How do I go about relocating the data and configuration files to a common network location for use by multiple users? It there a path setting that I haven't found somewhere?

twdotson
Site Admin

Re: Setup/Transition from C3D to BricsCAD

Postby twdotson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Admittedly till now there was no consideration of moving resources to a shared network location. Right now it looks in it's own specific subfolders for these. One option would be to literally run the add-on from a network location (you might have to add a trust with CASPOL). I'm going to email a user I know that made the transition with a fairly large group and ask him to comment.

Note that the symbol manager allows you to change it's working folder (to a network path). Perhaps a centralized location for all the paths would be best.

One thing we can promise is to work quickly to provide the changes and additions needed in the software.

twdotson
Site Admin

Postby twdotson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:35 pm

We are centralizing the folder options in the General tab of the system settings. What I see possible:

Data Folder: C:\Program ...\Data
Points Folder: C:\Program ...\Points
Symbol Folder: C:\Program ...\Symbols
Web Folder: C:\Program ...\WebCache

The user/manager could change any of these to a network path. Actually for large groups this could be a benefit. For example when one person accesses image files for the TMS Slippy Tiles tool, the next user working in that area would have a nearly instant image 100% from cached files.

CSchildmeier

Postby CSchildmeier » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Good morning Kirk,

We've been using Mapworks(and other Dotsoft tools) with Civil 3D and Bricscad for years now in a multi-user environment. It seems like your question is more general in terms of multi-user? There's relatively no difference(.dll's are different) using Mapworks with either cad program.

For as long as I can remember we've been using Active Directory to fire off scripts that robocopy our support/shared files to the users every-time they log in. Is that a possibility for you? Once the software has been installed and activated on the users PC the rest is easy. I run the update.exe on my machine, replace the updated files on our server, when the user logs on their local files get over-written.

I'd be happy to assist further if I had a little more information. Are we talking about 5 users? 50? Multiple office locations?

Since we've always had the logon scripts there's been no "need" to handle the Dotsoft software differently than all of our other addons and custom tools/blocks/templates/etc updates. Not that there isn't obviously arguments to move everything to a single network location.

I do like the thought of centralizing the support paths as Terry is suggesting though. The Dotsoft team has always been amazing at responding to support/feature requests.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

-Chris

Return to “MapWorks”